מבית הבלוגים של למטייל

יום שני, 23 בנובמבר 2009

let go, grandpa!

It has been six months to the day since I got to Chi Phat. So many things I have learnt, so many things are now obvious to me that were never obvious before. And yet, these last few days have taught me the most important lesson of all.

For months now we have been working on what we consider the most important aspect if our project – the handing over of our work to the local community. If have taken endless steps toward this: appointing a local (and very beloved) manager to the community center, creating a group of young (and very beloved) guides that would continue the teaching in the community center, building the reputation of the community center as a fun, educational (and very beloved) place, and much more.

But when it came to the last two months, I was under the impression it would be a great thing for this village if we built here an international volunteers program to take it to the next stage: to make sure the presence of English is permanent here, that the emphasis on education remains etc. it all made sense to me, and I didn’t think that anyone can change my mind. But they did: the first was the manager of our project, Yuval Limon. We have been talking about this project for a while now, and I knew he had many reservations, but this week he took it upon himself to give the financial backing for the mechanism we are building to continue our work, which meant that building an international program is no longer a financial must. Second was Einam, a volunteer in our delegation. When we were talking about this, she told me that she thought it was time we butt out, and allow the people to take over what we have started, just like we planned in the beginning. Third, and was Mr. Sen, the manager of the community center we appointed less than 5 months ago. With him too I talked about it for a long time, but unlike yuval, he was very much for the idea. But this week, when I talked to him again, he told me that he likes the idea, but that if won’t happen, he thinks the community center can manage just fine.

What else could I ask for? I changed my mind.

It is a lesson about trusting my counterparts here, which I always thought I did, but only now I realize that this trust would have to show itself in a painful leaving. I guess it’s kinda like when the kids leave home. You have to breath deep, hope you did a good job so far, and let go.

Maybe this family realization is why everyone in this village has started calling me Ta Gil (Grandpa Gil) lately?

אין תגובות: