מבית הבלוגים של למטייל

יום שלישי, 10 בפברואר 2009

Me and the Banalie...

Everyone of us each has their own soft-spots when it comes to their work here in Chi-Phat.


Gil has declared her undying love for the ninth graders, and jumps at every chance to organize any activity with them. She was the first to try and untangle their complex school schedule, and discovered to her utter surprise that the Ninth Grade is scheduled to study 13 hours a day (Yeah right!!) She has undertaken the courageous job of trying to coordinate activities in their nonexistent "free time".


Inbar, is the heart and soul of our beautiful community center, and can be found dreaming up various activities at all hours of the day (I share a room with Inbar, believe me, at ALL hours of the day :-)... We all accept her full authority on any issue concerning the "CCC" (To all those living in ignorance.. Chi-Phat Community Center), and obey all commands out of sheer fear of having a glue stick being thrown our way.




Me, like Gollum, have my own "precious".. my Banalie (Khmer for library) I have discovered an unexplainable fetish for our baby-library here in Chi-Phat, and find myself at times, counting over and over again the books, and making sure that all is accountable. I knew that I had gone to far, when I found myself contemplating checking dirty hands before Library opening time... :)


To my defense, it must be said that the library project is the fruit of our ideas and dreams, and have spent many hours choosing books in Khmer (an art that I have yet to master...), organizing donations, wrapping books, censoring Cambodian magazines and running after kids shouting "Banalie..Come!!".










It all started with the realization, that after a month in Chi-Phat, we had yet to see anybody reading a book, but we were all very impressed by the constant curiosity and thirst for knowledge that surrounded us in Chi-Phat. The library project is gaining momentum with everyday, and we now have a running pilot in the CCC, open two hours a day. During these two hours, villager, especially children , congregate to read books, gossip over magazines, and hear a Khmer fairy-tale being told at story-telling time. The giggles and shrieks of the children are a source of happiness for everyone. The amazing success of our "baby-library", has opened the way for bigger and better dreams. The main goal in the future, is to have a separate building, open all day, fully equipped with a local librarian, contemporary Khmer literature, and in the days that we really dare to dream... computers and Internet.






This big project is sure to be spread throughout the whole year of the project, and I know that I will not be here to see the final outcome. But as I plan, I am full of pride and happiness at sharing with Chi-Phat, one of my favourite past-times.. reading a book in the shade on a sunny afternoon.




אין תגובות: