מבית הבלוגים של למטייל

יום רביעי, 30 בספטמבר 2009

English lesson #1

Today I had a first english lesson a as teacher.

I have a confession: I am scared to death of being a teacher.
Being responsible for someone's knowledge is a great challenge. It's another challenge to make people interested in what a teacher is trying to convey. other words - you have to be a great man in order to master the art of teaching.

I've been afraid my whole life of standing and talking in front of an audience, and although I had decided to face that fear some 3 years ago, I still am.

When the Buddhist holiday of Pchyum-Ben was over, and the monks told us that they have again some free time for learning English, I was both terrified and exited to hear.
Afraid - you already know why, and exited because everyone talked about what a great experience and privilege it is to teach Buddhist monks.
Alon, their previous teacher described them to me as very "monkish": shy, blocked, poker-faces and so on.
I was very happy to postpone the first lesson from monday to wednesday because of YOM KIPPUR, but eventually, the time has came for me to ride my bicycle to the dock, and to cross the river to the village of Tak-La(o).

My translator for today was Yuthia (A.K.A - William), and the fact that he walked from the riverside to the village 4 steps ahead of me was very comfortable and gave me some more time to kill myself thinking "how I could make a better lesson" - a thought that I could keep on going with till the end of days.
"Will they understand my explanations?", "is the material I prepared for them is good enough?". and I didn't even noticed the well-known amazing view of the rice-fields of the village. "What if they will know too much and I will run out of material", as we were crossing the poor-stone pagoda. "What if..."
And we were there. my foots climbed up the stairs as my mind climbed up the walls.

It's not my first time teaching a new class, but like at my first time, my first words were full of doubt.
But like on the first time - the last 59 and half minutes of the one-hour lesson were full of fun and learning. not even one thought went through my head. like a teaching meditation...you know, monks and all...
On the way back I had the time to enjoy the view, walk silently behind William, BREAK a part of the boat that took us to Chi-Phat riverside - other words - life has returned to its normal route.

Auh, and wait! almost forgot! I have another lesson tomorrow...I can't wait!

*Einam - יא יום רביעי אחת!
**The monks and most of the children of tak-la(o) do not go to school, and never met the english language before previous delegations had decided to teach them.
It's a great pleasure for them and for us as well.

תגובה 1:

אנונימי אמר/ה...

אורז. קבל 2 קילו על הבלוג המהמם. לאב יו ביוש.
הפיות שלך